Call: (805) 771-1855
The student is responsible for having his/her parent telephone the school on the day he/she is absent from school. Please use the 24-hour absence reporting telephone line; leave a brief message including:
- The student’s name
- Date(s) and/or periods of absence
- Reason for absence
- Name of caller and relationship to student
- Daytime phone number of caller
Absences not cleared within TWO (2) DAYS of the student’s absence will be considered CUTS and may affect the student’s academic grade.
What to Do when Your Student Must Leave Campus During the School Day for an Outside Appointment
As a reminder, this is the procedure we have adopted when a student must leave campus during the school day: please send a written note with your child or telephone my office prior to the start of school. Your student is solely responsible for obtaining the "permit to leave campus" prior to leaving. Should they leave for any reason without the "permit", they will receive a CUT for that period/s.
Please note while Morro Bay High School staff may reasonably base verification on telephone conversations (and notes), which we have no reason to disbelieve, we may not accept an excuse if we have personal knowledge that provides a basis for a reasonable certainty that the excuse is false. When significant doubt occurs, we shall seek further confirmation.
Sending Messages to Students
We ask that you make all transportation arrangements with your student before he/she leaves home in the morning. It is a good idea to arrange a contingency plan for your student in the event the usual after-school transportation changes unexpectedly during the school day. Similarly, we ask that you communicate all appointments your student may have during or after the school day before he/she leaves home in the morning. WE DO NOT SEND MESSAGES TO STUDENTS. (Messages will only be sent to students under emergency circumstances.)
Deliveries to Students
If your student has forgotten school materials or personal items and suspects that you may have dropped them off for them, please have them check the Attendance Office to see if they are there. We are happy to hold any deliveries, though we cannot be responsible for them after one school week. We are not in a position to deliver items to your student or to send a message to him/her saying that they’ve been dropped off.
Students who miss 5-20 consecutive days of school may enroll in MBHS Independent Study program in order to excuse their attendance. Below are the following steps:
- Print the Independent Study Agreement or pick up a copy in the Counselor Secretary's office at least 10 days before you leave.
- Complete the Independent Study Agreement with your parent (parent and student signature required).
- Return completed agreement to the Counselor Secretary for Counselor review and approval. Assignment Sheets will be handed out by the Counseling Secretary. Take Assignment Sheets to your teacher to receive class assignments indicating what the student is expected to do while away from school in order to receive credit.
- At least 3 days before you leave submit teacher completed Assignment Sheets to the Counseling Secretary to copy.
- ON the first day you return to school, turn in all completed schoolwork AND Assignment Sheets to your teachers to receive credit. Return teacher signed Assignment Sheets with "total days credit" to the Counseling Secretary within 3 days.
Please note that if you do not complete this final step your attendance cannot be cleared. All signed Assignment Sheets must be returned to the Counseling Office within 3 days of your return to school. Student must complete 60% of daily work per period in order to receive daily attendance credit per period. However, the student's work will be graded both on the percentage completed and the quality and correctness of the work presented.